Thursday, August 22, 2013

Logo Talk

I've been asked two questions about the ARTxGEEK logo several times, so I thought I'd talk about that a bit.

The first question addresses the legality of using appropriated images.  Long Answer Is Long; short answer is that it's my understanding that it falls under the umbrella of fair use.  I work at a university and am also a grad student; a couple of semesters ago I took a writing class on hybrid and experimental forms and we spent a lot of time discussing appropriation and collage-style art.  We'll talk more later about appropriation and collage and "derivative" art (it's not only a hot topic in certain circles, it's a personal passion)... but that's part of the long answer. 

In the meantime, yes, I do believe I can legally use the images in this way.  However, if any of the companies in question tell me to stop, then I'll change it.

The second question concerns where I got each letter.  "I don't recognize..." so here's the list:

A = (Star Trek) Uniform badge, TOS design.  ST:TOS captured my heart as a girl.  I remember writing little stories about the characters on my own, literally decades before I ever heard the phrase "fanfic".  Also, Captain Kirk was my first-ever tv crush, but... have you met James T.?  He's totally crush-worthy.  I am not ashamed.

R = (Batman mythos) Uniform insignia, Robin's costume.   The "About Me" doesn't lie: I learned to read by reading Batman comics.  ("Mommy, what's homicide mean?")  I also attempted to draw a life-size Batman by my bed that year, beginning with gluing seven feet of pages from my Big Chief tablet directly to the wall.  Mom was not amused and the project was aborted before the crayons came out.  Censorship!

T = (Torchwood/Doctor Who)  Torchwood logo.  Jack conveys his regrets that the Doctor could not be here himself, but assures us all that in the event of an actual emergency, the Doctor will be notified.  (You probably won't be, but trust that the world's in good hands.)

x = (X-Box)  Hi, my name is Monique, I'm a video game junkie.  I'll tell you almost anything about myself in excruciating detail... but I will not reveal the hour-count on my Oblivion, Skyrim, or Dragon Age characters.  That information helps no one.

G = (Stargate)  Broken stargate.  Stargate: SG-1 was my first experience with online fandom.  Over a decade later, I still have friends from those listserves.

E = (Firefly/Serenity) Partial ship's logo from the Serenity exterior.  Because: Joss.  I had to have one of Joss Whedon's shows represented; his body of work has affected me greatly over the years both as a viewer and as a writer.  (Also: Browncoats Forever!)

E = (Star Trek) Partial ship's logo from the Enterprise exterior.  Gotta admit, I don't like how this E looks; it's a bad screencap, and I will have to replace at some point. 

K = (Highlander) Conner's quickening after killing the Kurgen.  If you've spent any time at all in the Highlander fandom, you know the joke already.  For the rest of you -- the word "immortals" got shortened to Immies by the fans, and then so many of the bad guys had names beginning with K (Kurgen, Kronos, Kallas, Kane, etc.) that bad-guy-immortals came to be called Kimmies.   There can be only one!

No comments:

Post a Comment